Friday, October 23, 2015

This helped me, but it's going to confuse you.

I've stopped writing. I've stopped journaling, blogging, and I've even stopped ranting on social media. I tell myself I've stopped due to lack of inspiration. Am I being honest with myself? In short, the answer is no. On the contrary, an honest statement would be that I have become lazy. I spend hours at a time scrolling through Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Not to mention the countless episodes of Netflix I pride myself in watching every week. I don't mean for it to sound like I am making social media out to be a useless pastime, because I do spend much of my time researching thought provoking and mind-stimulating articles and videos. However, why have I convinced myself that this is enough? How is skimming, scrolling, liking, commenting, pinning, and watching, mobilizing my vision?

Inside my head, my life is separated into two parts: before my gap year with TBB & after my gap year with TBB. I distinguish between the two based on the experiences which shaped the perception I now see the world around me through. But, here's the thing. I've been home now for almost two years. It has been over two years ago that I left on the adventure in the first place. This is a lot of time; considering the dilemma I am facing by catching myself referring to timespans as "before I left", "while I was gone", and "after I got back". Why am I still finding it difficult to merge the two together? Sure, I'm a different person. I've made different life choices, and now have different preferences and opinions. But, I'm still Savannah. Right? Why does it have to be "Savannah" and "Savannah: The Sequel"?

You probably think I am looking too much into this.
Wrong.
Because, I know I sound crazy.
But, here's my point.

I'll be 21 in less than two months. I'm a sophomore at a University that I, nearly, hate everything about. I've dropped two classes this semester, and even though I am listed as an Agriculture Science major, I'm taking a total of zero agriculture courses this semester. I'm currently in the process of changing my major to Journalism, and I do plan on transferring Universities in fall of 2016. I have a short term plan to make myself happier, but I still cannot help but feel bogged down. It's as if I'm constantly trying to cohere the two parts of my life. When in reality, I know there is no real line of separation. I'm really, really, struggling to put my life LEGO set of 45,670 pieces together. And for the record: when I look over a piece, and then step on it later--it hurts like a bitch.

I'm so frustrated with myself that I know this writing is not going to flow when I reread it. But, I'll still click that publish button, because its the most writing I've put together in six months. Which really may not seem like a big deal to you, except writing is where I feel the most freedom. It's the only place I can tell the truth without fear of consequence or judgement. Writing is the only way I know how to sort through my emotions, and the only way I know how to process. My words are really the only thing I can stand behind with assurance. And not just the words themselves, but the way they come together to make ideas and proclamations in a way that words from my mouth simply cannot.

This is why I am so bewildered by my own will to have stopped. Because, what if this is the only way to connect my two parts together to make one life. If time is on a continuum then there really is no such thing as a sequel; and the first one is usually better left open-ended anyways. 

1 comment:

  1. "Because, what if this is the only way to connect my two parts together to make one life. If time is on a continuum then there really is no such thing as a sequel; and the first one is usually better left open-ended anyways."
    You're words are powerful. Your thoughts matter. We are all still trying to connect the dots between the now and the then, but it's not easy. I'm grateful for your writing.

    ReplyDelete