Monday, March 24, 2014

A Life Worth Living.

We want our lives to have purpose. Some of us want to change the world and others want to simply change the channel. We live for happiness, affection, admiration, money, power, love, revenge, relief, adventure, addiction, and passion. We live for a combination of those things, and more, throughout our journey called life. One of my favorite quotes is, "Life is what happens when you are busy living." How peculiar of a notion. Does that mean we are missing out when we let the days pass by- waiting, wanting, longing for the meaning of life to hit us, to remind us why life is worth living.

When I was six, I lived for the suckers from the lady at the bank drive-through and bedtime stories. When I was eleven I lived for a calm in the storm of divorce. When I was seventeen I lived for the love of a boy and tailgate circles on a Friday night. Now, at nineteen, I've decided there is so much left to live for.

The woman I met in South Africa lives for the grant money that doesn't come. She lives for hope. Hope that she can pay her son's tuition, pay for her home, and pay for the AIDS medicine that gives her the chance to live. 

The kids in Honduras and India live for missionaries and volunteers to teach them to read and tie their shoes. They live for the chance to use broken crayons and to eat hard candy. They live for love for a short time. 

The farmers in Thailand live for one more year to the work the land that the government refuses to give them the rights to. The land they've occupied for years. They live for the chance to hold something that is theirs.

The boy I befriended in Haiti lives for the chance to earn a University degree. He lives for a better life, a life he's never known. 

The families in Ecuador live for the opportunity to rebuild. They live for years down the road, when a legacy will live on in the rain-forests for generations to come. 

The gentleman in Cambodia I bought roses from, lives for a generous heart passing by. 

I've lived for a boy, a sport, a good time, and a God. But never have I ever even thought about living for food, medicine, shelter, rights, hugs, or even just hope.

I'm sure one day I'll live for much more than parties and finales. I'll live for things like a career, kids, and a husband. But here I am at nineteen wondering if that's really enough to live for. I want to live for crazy dreams and real change. I want to live for those who can't seem to find something worth living for. I'll live for a prayer of hope and ray of happiness. I'll live for much more than I ever thought of before.

No comments:

Post a Comment